Version 0.1 - Last Updated: 02 Feb 2021
Change of circumstances
You should use a Withdrawal CoC when a student withdraws from their course after you have confirmed their registration.
A withdrawal means the point at which a student’s scheduled learning, teaching and assessment activities and other active and ongoing engagement end in agreement with you. It also means the student does not intend to return. They will have no further obligation to pay fees to you.
This terminates a student’s period of student finance eligibility. We will recalculate their maintenance and tuition fee support.
If a student tells us that they intend to withdraw from a course, we will suspend their maintenance payments. You must discuss the withdrawal with the student.
When you submit a Withdrawal CoC, it is important that you do this swiftly and accurately. This is to ensure our payments to the student and to you are correct and on time.
The service level for CoC processing is 20 working days in off-peak periods. During peak periods (August to end of November) it is 30 working days.
Alternatively we can process Withdrawal CoCs through the automated service if they match the criteria for this. The processing time for an automated CoC is 48 hours. To maximise the likelihood of your CoCs being automatically processed, please follow the steps in this guide when you submit them.
You can create a CoC manually from the Create CoC page, or in bulk using xml or csv file upload.
If you would like the technical specification with information on the bulk upload process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This guide will tell you how to use the Create CoC page.
- Go to the SIS Home page and select CoC Home.
- This will open the CoC Home menu showing the CoC subareas you can see with your access level.
- Select Create CoC.
- Select Withdrawal from the Change of Circumstance category dropdown.
- Select the academic year you want to apply this CoC to from the Academic Year dropdown.
- Select Next.
- The system will now ask you to enter the details of the student this CoC applies to. You can search for the SSN (student support number) to find the student’s details.
- Once you have found the student, select Next. This will open the Change of Circumstance Details page where you can enter the specific details of the change.
- Enter the Date of Last Attendance. We use this to process the student’s funding entitlement.
Attendance on a course means active and ongoing engagement with the activities and learning opportunities you make available. These include, but are not limited to, scheduled learning and teaching activities.
If the student attended for the full first day of the applicable term, you should submit the last date of attendance as the second day of that term.
- Enter the Date Student Left the Course. This should match the Date of Last Attendance.
- The system will automatically fill in the Tuition Fee Charged to Student field.
You should leave this as the full year amount. We will calculate how much the student will be charged based on their attendance confirmations and withdrawal date. This will be 25%, 50% or 100% of the total fee. For example, if a student begins their course in September and has a withdrawal effective date of 1 December, they will be charged 25% of their tuition fee amount.
You cannot charge more than:
- 25% of the full year’s tuition fee for students who withdraw in term 1
- 50% for those who withdraw in the term 2
However, you can charge 100% for students who withdraw in term 3.
Alternatively, you can enter the value that is 25% of the full tuition fee loan. Our system will then charge the student this value. The system limits the amount the student can be charged but does not prorate the value you enter in this field. For example, if the student has a total tuition fee loan of £9,250 and they left in term 1, you can enter £2312.50 and this is the value the student will be charged.
- Select a reason from the Reason for Withdrawal dropdown. The options are:
- Enter the Course Tuition Fee Liability. This field should match the Tuition Fee Charged to Student field to ensure automated processing.
- The system will automatically fill in the Course Year field.
- If you need to add additional information to this CoC, you must check the box after the line, 'I need to include additional information so this CoC can be accurately processed. I understand that this will cause a delay as the CoC will need to be manually processed.'
- When you have entered all the details for the CoC, select Next to continue.
- This will take you to the Course Details page. For a Withdrawal CoC, the system will automatically fill in the course details. Select Next to move on.
- You must now select a contact for the CoC. This will be a registered person at your university or college whom we can contact about this CoC. Use the radio buttons to select the contact, then select Next.
- This will take you to the CoC Summary page. Review the CoC details and select Submit.
Print this chapter