Version 1.0 - Last Updated: 16 Feb 2021


Studying abroad

Student support regulations were changed in AY 2015/16 to allow providers more flexibility. Since then, universities and colleges have been offering more students the opportunity to study some of their degree overseas. These degrees are generally offered together with an overseas provider. Some are offered as dual degrees.

We have received questions around how to offer these courses and how to correctly build the course content to meet student funding designation and eligibility requirements.

You need to ensure that at least 50% of the teaching and learning of the course takes place at a UK provider. Course years abroad often run longer than those in the UK, usually due to earlier course start dates. You will need to confirm that at least 50% of study and supervision over the duration of the course years takes place in the UK.

For study periods abroad up to 15% of a full academic year’s fees is available for tuition fee support, unless the student attends the provider in the UK for 10 weeks or more in the academic year.

If the student attends full year abroad study, Erasmus+ or the alternative arrangement known as the 'Turing Scheme', the fees will be capped at 15%. This applies even if it is for 2 academic years out of 4.

We are closely monitoring dual degrees and courses offered with overseas providers to ensure that you follow designation requirements. If a course is incorrectly designated or a student is not eligible due to studying less than 50% of the course year in the UK, we need to use the overpayment recovery process for any incorrectly paid funding.

Print this chapter
Back to top